Somebody posted the following on their blog as “Mormonisms” — unique teachings of Mormonism:
- We are made of gods, blood, and stardust.
- We were always meant to partake of the fruit.
- God is a state of relation, not just being.
- Heaven cannot be experienced in solitude.
- Obedience is but the first—not the only—law of heaven.
- To follow Christ is to become Christs ourselves.
- We are the work and glory of God.
- Revelation is a democratic enterprise.
- Authority exists as it is given, not imposed.
- True power is born from love, not fear or coercion.
- To truly live is to live for others.
- If you want to be, act as though you are, and you will become.
- We progress at the rate we choose for ourselves.
- The results of Final Judgment are determined by our own.
- God desires mercy more than obedience to the law.
- The Plan would have been frustrated were it not for disobedience.
- We are to serve God by serving others.
- We will all become the Gods we worship.
- You die by the same that you live by.
- Salvation cannot occur in ignorance.
- The glory of God is intelligence.
`Unfortunately, “Mormonisms” and the truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ are not always the same thing.
We are made of gods, blood, and stardust. “Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.” D&C 93:29
ADAM (not we) were always meant to partake of the fruit, but on the Lord’s timing, not ours.
“God is a state of relation, not just being.” Not sure what you mean, the but Gospel is all about relationships.
“Heaven cannot be experienced in solitude.” I don’t know what this means. Joseph Smith was alone in the woods. Joseph and Sidney ascended to heaven together. Paul ascended to the third heaven. He doesn’t say anybody went with him.
Obedience is not the first law of heaven. Agency is. We have to be able to choose to obey before we can obey.
“To follow Christ is to become Christs ourselves.” Yes. This is why it is called the church of the Firstborn.
“We are the work and glory of God.” Yes. God defines His whole purpose in life as serving us.
“Revelation is a democratic enterprise.” I don’t know what this means. D&C 67:13,14.121:33
“Authority exists as it is given, not imposed.” A man receives the Aaronic Priesthood by ordination. A man receives the Melchizedek Priesthood by an oath and covenant, by the calling of God’s own voice Gen 14:28-29 JST, D&C 84:42
“True power is born from love, not fear or coercion.” No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the Priesthood. Power or influence ought to be maintained “by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned”.
“To truly live is to live for others.” In order to love your neighbor as your self, you have to love yourself. Pray with all the energy of your soul to be given the spiritual gift of charity — the ability to see yourself and all others as God sees you.
“If you want to be, act as though you are, and you will become.” This is the principle of faith. It’s even better to seek revelation from Christ as to what you are to become. Then, have the faith to become it. “I’ll be what you want me to be.”
“We progress at the rate we choose for ourselves.” This is true, but if you follow the Lord and let Him push you a little, your capacity will increase.
“The results of Final Judgment are determined by our own.” We will be our own accusers, as Joseph Smith taught.
“God desires mercy more than obedience to the law.” If you are talking about the law of works, yes. Hos. 6:6. Not even God can violate the laws of heaven. Not even God can revoke “a law irrevocably decreed”. But, He know how to use mercy to leverage justice.
“The Plan would have been frustrated were it not for disobedience.” D&C 29:30 “But remember that all my judgments are not given unto men;”
“We are to serve God by serving others.” Yes. King Benjamin taught that.
“We will all become the Gods we worship.” Yes. Bruce R. McConkie gave a great sermon. To worship God is to seek to become like Him.
“You die by the same that you live by.” The law of Karma, aka the law of Cause and Effect.
“Salvation cannot occur in ignorance.” D&C 131:5-6 “The more sure word of prophecy means a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood. It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance.” You cannot be saved without receiving the testimony of Jesus that you will be saved. D&C 76:51
“The glory of God is intelligence.” Yes, but, ‘intelligence’ as defined by the Lord. D&C 93:36 The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.